RFI

RE: Topband: Local noise environment

To: "Doug Waller" <NX4D@comcast.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Local noise environment
From: "Garry Shapiro" <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:34:08 -0800
The capacitors may be on the edge of failure.

Several years ago, I was fortunate to get to know a local lineman who had
been assigned to RFI/TVI mitigation---a job no one else in the yard wanted.
We developed a great relationship--we both had lots to learn and lots to
teach, each from our own side of the problem--despite the hostile and
negative responses of his colleagues and superiors.

On one occasion I noted noise that only appeared on weekends--and he did not
work weekends. Our discussion came down to the question "what is ON at xx
location during the weekend that is not on during the week?", and the answer
he gave was a phase-balancing capacitor bank on the other side of the
canyon. When he checked it out, he found that one of the capacitors had
actually burned--there were scorch marks on the pole! That was indeed the
problem.

His boss's boss loved to point out "how much money we have spent on
you"--meaning my complaints. I always responded that he had spent nothing on
me---I did not own the failed equipment, broken and arcing insulators, loose
yardarm brace clips, rotten poles, etc. I in turn would point out how much
money I had saved his company by identifying problems before they became
outages. It got me nowhere.

But I digress--ask the minions at your power company to check out those
capacitors.

Garry, NI6T