RFI

[RFI] RE: "The Maytag RFI in Maryland makes power co RFI look good"

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RE: "The Maytag RFI in Maryland makes power co RFI look good"
From: "mike@rfiservices" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:23:36 -0500
About 5 years ago I was investigating an RFI complaint for Potomac
Electric Power Company. While in search of the sparking source on a 69kv
circuit that was causing problems for a local ham, I had to locate and
de-energize a washing machine. I found my meter pegged by this noise
source that was totally over riding the 69kv noise less than a block
away. I went in and found the control/timer for the maytag arcing. I was
able to stop the arcing by tapping on the control knob. It wasn't
difficult to convince the owner to unplug it.
I think the question was "what in a washing machine could cause RFI"?
If it's energized by volts it can spark!
Best wishes,
Michael C Martin k3rfi
RFI Services
6469 Old Solomons Island Rd