RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL and the BBC

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL and the BBC
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:27:48 -0800 (PST)
I think it would be a mistake to assume that the FCC (or the US in general)
cares a lot about international law (or ITU treaties).  Why is the EU
imposing sanctions on the US right now?  Because the US is part of the
WTO and has violated WTO rules by giving tax breaks to "protected"
US industries.  This is just one example.  There are more.

The thing I don't understand is how the FCC can, with a clear conscience,
ignore all of the existing research and videos.  Have they addressed any
of the interference claims?  No!  Have they refuted the research done
in Europe and Japan?  No!  Have they watched the videos, gone to the test
sites, and conducted RF testing in those areas?  I don't think so.  If they
did, then they have never mentioned it.  They are like a 5 year old child
that is plugging his ears and screaming while you try to tell him something
he doesn't want to hear.  It's really pathetic.  The least they could do
is go out to the test sites and evaluate it OR let the ARRL drive them
around in a test area while filming a video.  I guess their philosophy
is: "If I don't see it or hear it (even though I don't actively search
for it) and the operators say it doesn't exist then it must not exist".
Hey commissioners, that little "cross your fingers and hope for good luck
thing" doesn't work.  Most of us gave that up at about age 10.

Well, let's just hope that there are lots of amateurs in the Cincinnati
area that will beat down the power companies door with interference complaints
at the first hint of BPL interference.  I look forward to hearing the reports
from hams in BPL service areas.

BTW, does anyone know why we've yet to hear reports (good or bad) from
hams that live in (or near) BPL test areas?  You would think there would be at
least 1 HF-active ham in one of the existing areas that can report on what he
has experienced.  Anyone know an HF-active ham living in/near one of these
areas?