RFI

[RFI] TVI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] TVI
From: "Yuri Onipko" <va3uz@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:52:14 -0500
Hello everybody.
My new next-door neighbor started to complain about TVI.
I seldom use more than 100 watts from my place and
had no other complaints from other neighbors so far including people who
used to live
in his house before.
When I visited his place today I was shocked - there are 6(!) TVs in the
house, 4 of them - flat screen TVs. Three different DVD players, CD players
and video (VHS) players, each connected to three of those 6 TV sets, and one
big flat screen TV in a basement has 5 speakers (surrounded sound) with at
least 10' of speaker wire each and this TV set is also connected to a
satellite receiver (the dish is on the roof) in addition to regular cable.
All TVs are connected to the main cable line by means of 6-dB splitters.
Wow!
Probably good kilometer of audio, video and other wires all over the house.
When I point my beam (TH6DXX at 60 ') to his house (this is my Caribbean
direction) my 100 watts signal easily wipes out his TV picture (the screen
is flashing) on 10, 15 and 20 meters. 10 is the worse. Also my voice can be
heard in his speakers when I transmit on SSB. Same thing happens when I
transmit on 80 and 160,  and there was no any interference I turn my beam
aside.
I have no problems at all  with my  2  TV's in the house connected to the
same cable line (the distribution box  for neighborhood is in my backyard)
and  to satellite RX.
I was not really ready to do anything to cure the problem. All I managed to
do was to put
High Pass filter which I put between the cable coax and TV antenna input and
to wind
 3 or 4 turns of cable TV coax on the mid-sized thoroid core. Also I put
common mode chokes (3 turns of speaker wire on thoroid) on the 3  of 5
speakers. Nothing seemed to help.
I suspect that his TV signal from the cable could be very weak due to the
multiple splitters and his TV input is simply overloaded when I point my
beam on his house. In this case - can a UHF amplifier help? Should I still
put HPF and common mode chokes on the cable coax? Does he need AC
"brutal-force" filter?
I would appreciate any comment or suggestion.
Thanks.

Yuri  VE3DZ