RFI

Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?
From: "Deni" <deni1@tiscali.fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:34:45 +0100
Tom Rauch wrote:
>> I'm always intrigued by the photos of other peoples shacks with the
>> PC and monitor mounted right in among the radio gear.
>
> Deni,
>
> Every cable and wire in my shack, including power lines, enter
> through a bulk-head feedthrough plate. All of my cable shield
> connections are good. All of my antenna are at least a few hundered
> feet from the shack.
>
> Unless I get a loose cable connection someplace, I can't hear any
> noise or RFI from stuff in my house and I'm in a very quiet location.
>
> Are you sure you don't have poor shield connections or ground loops?
> Are your antennas very close to the shack or do you have common mode
> current problems with antennas?
>
> 73 Tom
>
>> I have a conventional tower and CRT monitor which creates nasty QRM
>> in my HF receivers, I also have a laptop with TFT screen which is
>> not too bad but it's switched mode PSU/Charger is chronic anywhere
>> near my radio.

Hi Tom, well my shack/ antenna layout is less than ideal at present, but I
do know all of my cable screens are good.
I am in the process of setting up in a new location so still thinking about
antennas etc. However, I must say, despite using balanced antennas
(doublets with balanced line feed) from previous locations I have never been
able to completely eliminate PC to radio RFI. I am aware that most RFI
emanates from the CRT monitor and some are better than others, but I've
owned  a few and never been happy with any of them.
I'm also dismayed at the level of rubbish radiated from modern switched mode
PSU/ chargers, e.g. my recently acquired printer has a terribly noisy
external
PSU supplied as standard, even my electric toothbrush charger is noisy!

Are there any general guidelines available in the quest for a quiet radio
environment?

73, Deni
F5VJC, GM3SKN