RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI and Ford Vehicles

To: "kz8e@wt.net" <kz8e@wt.net>,"rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI and Ford Vehicles
From: "Jim Brown" <jimbrown.enteract@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:47:18 -0600
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:05:50 -0600, kz8e@wt.net wrote:

>I am looking for RFI information on Ford (including Mazda, Lincoln, Mercury,
>Volvo, Land Rover, et. al.) vehicles for a booklet that I am putting together.
>
>Specifically I would like examples of mobile stations installed in various
>Ford
>vehicles.  I would like to hear what noise problems you have encountered and
>what "fixes" you have implemented that were effective.  Photographs of the
>changes and fixes would be highly desired.

I use my FT100D in my '99 Volvo S80 on 40 through 10 meters at 100
watts. The battery is in the trunk, and I'm powered directly from the
battery.

The antenna is a Ham Stick on a license plate mount. The license plate
holder is insulated from the trunk lid, and the trunk lid itself is
insulated from the rest of the body of the car. I bonded the license
plate holder to the trunk lid and the trunk lid to the body, and am
pretty pleased with how the antenna radiates. Impedance measurements
suggest that the series loss resistance is fairly low (i.e.,  the
impedance of the antenna seems relatively close to what one would
expect based on its length).

Noise is not a major problem in this car -- I can hear the ignition on
some bands, but it isn't bad, and the noise blanker gets rid of it
completely. During the summer months, I plan to do some more body
bonding (including the tailpipe) to further reduce it, but I am quite
pleased with the car from a ham radio point of view.  The car shows its
European heritage -- over there, they are far more concerned with EMC
than here.

Jim Brown K9YC