RFI

Re: [RFI] Today's Wall Stree Journal front page article on hams & BPL

To: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>, RFI@contesting.com,wrt@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Today's Wall Stree Journal front page article on hams & BPL
From: Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:56:13 +0000
At 20:51 03/24/04, dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
To be fair, I do personally
know DXers and contesters who participate in public service events and
support work in association with various local radio clubs and RACES, ARES,
etc.  However, many more do not.  I have frequently seen where contesters
and DXers write letters to editors extoling the virtues of their activities
as "utilizing the amateur radio frequencies".  Yes, that's true, but to
what or whose purpose?  IMHO, it is exactly that sort of distorted thinking
that can lead to our HF spectrum getting trampled by the greedy (and well
heeled) power lobby and our VHF/UHF bands being parceled off to other
interests who offer more "public service", however it may be defined.

Frankly, I think that a very large majority of the DXers and Contesters DO
provide services in situations where communication skills are needed.
I would say that these types of operators (of which I am proudly a member)
have the communication skills that are needed in emergency situations.
I think that these folks are as well trained for communicating, or more so, than
all those trained by the ARES, RACES, etc training nets that are so popular.

73, Tom K5IID

Finally back home in TEXAS!

"E" Sorter for the ARRL W5 QSL Bureau
RFI mailing list