RFI

Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights

To: ka5s@earthlink.net, "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:37:55 -0400
At 09:40 PM 4/4/04, Cortland Richmond wrote:

Here's something interesting:

"Question:
What happens if the load is below the rated power range?

Answer:
An instable operation can occur if the load on the transformer is below its
rated power range. Possibly, the harmonics or the level of radio
interfreence are above the permitted limits. The transformer and the lamp
are not in danger to be damaged due to an underload operation"
http://www.good-light.com/basic_knowledge.asp

Amusing. The low-voltage lights sold at Lowe's are made by something called Good Earth Corp., also of China. They look just like the Hampton Bay 120V puck lights except for the bulb and transformer. They also sell a steel cased unit that is the spitting image of the GE-branded units I had previously. Perhaps because of the case, the RFI from them was acceptable, but the power supplies kept failing, and GE got tired of sending me new ones under warranty. I don't think they sell them any longer.

I really think my best solution may to buy 12v bulbs and fixtures on the internet and wire them to a filament transformer of the appropriate rating, unless I can find a purpose-built magnetic transformer. I would kinda like to have a UL-rated system, though.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org