RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer monitor RFI

To: Alan Beagley <ab2os@att.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer monitor RFI
From: dj2001@mn.rr.com
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:51:48 -0500
The Sony 15" monitor connected to the computer I am using with my rig generates an enormous amount of RFI: S9 signals at intervals on 20m and up, the intervals depending on the screen resolution I set. The interference stops if I turn off the monitor or when it blanks after the set timeout interval.

The video cable has its own integral RFI filter, and I have tried adding a choke to the power cord and an additional one to the video cable, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Alan AB2OS

Alan,

No real good ideas other than you should have got a Envision monitor. I have one here, it's a 17 incher and I paid a little over $100 for it. It generates no noise that I know of. My Sony 15 inch did too.

You might try changing the resolution and see if the hash changes frequency. I assume you are using a grounded outlet for power? Could it be your video card inside the computer generating the hash?

Good luck

Dale, K9VUJ