RFI

[RFI] President Bush's 6/14/04 Speech Lauding BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] President Bush's 6/14/04 Speech Lauding BPL
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:35:30 -0400
For those of you who are wondering where the adminstration stands on BPL, these two items should clarify matters:

The first item is from President Bush's speech delivered at the Department of Commerce this afternoon. I believe the speech followed a series of demonstrations of broadband technologies, details of which are mentioned by Richard Russell in the second item below. The demonstration area was open to invited guests only.

The entire text of the President's speech can be found on the White House website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040624-7.html
"Thirdly, we want to help consumers find more ways to obtain affordable broadband access. I just told you that. I told it to you again. (Laughter.)

"Most people who have broadband access now obtain it through a cable wire or telephone wire. A small percentage obtain it through a satellite. But most of us who have got broadband go through the telephone or your cable.

"We need to get broadband to more Americans and so, therefore, I want to talk about two other ways to get broadband to the consumer. We need to use our power lines better. They go everywhere. It seems to make sense, doesn't it, if what you're looking for is avenues into the home. Well, electricity goes into the home. And so one great opportunity is to spread broadband throughout America via our power lines.

"And one of the problems we've got here is that the Commerce Department has had to develop technical standards that will make sure that our broadband can go across power lines without unnecessary interference. So it's a technological problem. It's a technological issue. It turns out that sometimes the competition of broadband and electricity just doesn't go too good across one line. And so -- if I could put it in simple vernacular. And so, therefore, the Commerce Department is helping to sort through these issues so that broadband access will be available through -- by our power companies.

"And as I understand it -- as a matter of fact, was shown a little thing you plug in your wall that will give you broadband access at 30 times -- you told me? Sixty times? Sixty times the current speed of a dial-up. And that's now available in Cincinnati and parts of Kentucky. There's a power company in that part of the world that's been innovative, that's diversified the product to the home, and now can provide broadband across the electricity lines -- which is a fantastic innovation.

"And so our job in government is to help facilitate the use of electricity lines by helping with the technological standards that will make this more possible. And I want to thank those in the Commerce Department who have worked hard to do this.

The second item is from today's "Ask the White House, an online interactive forum where you can submit questions to Administration officials and friends of the White House". Richard Russell, Senior Director for Technology at the Office of Science and Technology Policy, answered questions. Only one was about BPL, which I've attached. The full transcript (including a more detailed description of the demonstrations of broadband technologies) can be found at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040624.html
"Cynthia, from Fairfax, VA writes:
I know that the President would like to see Broadband deployed fully across the United States and made available to everyone who would like to have it. Is the President aware of and supportive of the emerging technology, Broadband over Power Lines (BPL)?

"Richard Russell:
Personally, I am energized about Broadband over Power Lines. Today, the President spoke about the potential for BPL. The Department of Commerce has made over 10 million measurements that will help address interference issues associated with BPL. By addressing these issues, we hope that Broadband over Power lines can be rolled out responsibly and create another broadband channel into the home.