RFI

Re: [RFI] RE: Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RE: Broadband over Power Line (BPL) radio interference
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:49:40 -0500
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:37:15 -0700, Ward Silver wrote:

>My response to this argument has been to say that hams are acting as
>"canaries in the coal mine", tipping off the public and corporations to the
>problems of this technology before it becomes pervasive enough to do real
>harm.  Just as the sport fishermen and duck hunters helped raise awareness
>about water pollution a generation ago, we are doing the same for spectrum
>pollution.  Whether or not amateur radio and sport fishing are critical to
>society is not the point, but irreversible and needless loss of spectrum
>used by important services certainly is.

YES!  And it is precisely BECAUSE we are the caneries, and that we are VOCAL
canaries, that we are so critical to society.

I'm not one to quote scripture, but there is a particularly relevant verse that
goes
something like (depending on the translation) "if you have done it to the least
of
them, you have done it to me."  This is something that we all must live by if
we are to
survive as a species.

Jim Brown  K9YC