RFI

[TowerTalk] RE: [PVRC] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection

To: "'Eric Rosenberg'" <wd3q@starpower.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>, <pvrc@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [PVRC] Question re: Whole House Surge Protection
From: "Bill Hider (N3RR)" <n3rr@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:18:58 -0400
Eric,

Go to my website and check out the Joslyn unit I had an electrician install
in 1996.
I've never been "hit-hurting a piece of gear" (knock on wood) since it's
been installed.  I did have a couple hits in the 11 years I was here before
1996.

In fact, I keep all of my ham and other electronics gear plugged in to AC,
all antennas connected all the time and never have had a hit in the house.
(Once, I disconnected a rotor control ground wire and took a hit on a zener
diode in the unit, but I violated my own rules - NEVER DISCONNECT ANYTHING -
Keep it connected to the ground grid.

I do have UPS units on each of my 5 networked computers in the house - all
PCs are powered on all the time.
I also have a UPS on the packet node transmitters and PC.

Anyway, the Joslyn unit energizes with every power hit I take here - and we
have MANY MANY hits, low/hign voltage hits, lightning hits that drop out the
power momentarily and some for a few minutes/hours.  The power here is
always going up/down here.  Never took any "hit" to anything in the house
with the Joslyn unit installed. Again, I leave everything connected: IC-781,
IC-4KL, IC-PW1, antennas, rotors, AC power, phone lines.  I do have a SPG at
the house, towers, and a ground grid outside the house.

All this is described in my website.  www.erols.com/n3rr

73,

Bill, N3RR