RFI

[RFI] Re: GFI Outlets

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Re: GFI Outlets
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:12:32 -0600
GFCIs had a (rescinded) immunity standard, NEMA PP1-86 <http://www.nema.org/index_nema.cfm/563/?type=standard&pageid=7D30F99E-C55A-4933-B2CC37A5D63EAF9F&node=608>. This standard was much different from the IEC conducted immunity standards. It was a differential-mode test at 10-400MHz, 0.5Vrms, CW, 50 ohms (compared to common-mode, 0.15-80MHz, 3Vrms carrier, 80% AM at 1kHz, 150 ohms per the IEC "generic" immunity test). The GFCI was tested without loading, and was expected to operate normally in the presence of RF (no nuisance trip, trip as specified when leakage exists).

With the 10MHz low frequency limit, you can see how the low bands could be troublesome. But it was better than no standard at all.

73,
--Tim (KR0U)

"Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>:

I haven't had any GFI's fail, Jim at least none that I have been able
to positively correlate with RFI (I had one fail in the kitchen, but I am not positive that it was RFI induced). I did, however, have problems with the GFI in our master bathroom tripping when I woudl operate 80 and 160 meters with my amplifier.