RFI

Re: [RFI] Editorial on BPL in Electronic Design Magazine

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Editorial on BPL in Electronic Design Magazine
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:00:14 -0700
There may actually be something to this:

http://www.corridor.biz/technology.htm

Looks like it operates in the UHF/Microwave region (which
would make sense since they are using a single power line
conductor as a waveguide (with the energy guided along the
outside surface of the conductor) as opposed to on the inside
of a circular guide or rectangular guide. This is fundamentally
different than regular BPL which utilizes TEM propagation.
The nice thing about this technology (if it works) is that it
operates at higher frequencies where there is enough
bandwidth that it could potentially be given an allocation
(as opposed to sharing spectrum on a part 15 basis). Heck
even if you made it work at Wi-Fi frequencies, it might provide
enough isolation from free space signals to allow it to coexist
with Wireless Access Points operating in the same frequency
range. The downside is that it probably doesn't handle
discontinuities very well, so you would have to have those
launching horns at every powerpole to guide the signal
around the insulator hardware. It may also be susceptible
to moisture and ice.

Anyway, those are the sorts of questions I would be asking
if I were a potential investor. It could be bogus, but its worth
looking into as an alternative to regular BPL which we all
know is a steaming RFI turd.