RFI

RE: [RFI] wideband service availability

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] wideband service availability
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:23:46 -0500

 Broadband is not as easily found here outside of
Omaha.  I have cable, but when I asked about DSL, then said not
available-must be too far from the CO.  I can throw a rock from my roof and
hit the CO bldg without trying, so I don't think that's the reason.  We do
have two cable companies in this part of Omaha though so we have the
duopoly here with  DSL in some spots somewhere.

My telephone company, Southwest Texas Telephone, has 3400 customers in an area of 3500 square miles. Yes, less than one customer per square mile--and that includes the towns. Out where I am it is closer to 1/10 of that "density". And a total of 38 employees!

My telephone company ran DSL an extra 8 miles for TWO of us.  And that
is not 8 miles from the CO--but 8 miles from a little box that acts like a CO.
We are about 25 miles from a real CO "building".

Clearly the economics for extending DSL with a repeater every three miles
can't be too bad if my little Telco can do this.

NO, I don't OWN the Telco or even know anyone there except Coby, the tech
who does ALL of the work in this HALF of their coverage area.  And I have just
met hit a few times--when he has been here to do the work.

There are a LOT of advantages of living in a rural area. People and companies
actually provide the services we pay for. I am sure if they could actually afford
an accountant, that the accountant would advise against acting this way. Just
pleased no one has ever told the little company that couldn't operate like this
and run DSL 8 miles for just two customers.

73--John W0UN