RFI

Re: [RFI] Astron fan circuit noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Astron fan circuit noise
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:38:42 +0100
John Rader wrote:
My Astron SS-30M makes noise on 80m each time the fan starts. The noise starts out low in pitch and increases for about 10 seconds then stops. The fan continues to run for about 30 more seconds. It is not related to fan speed or duration, only starting.

Coincidentally, I was listening to the noise from my SS30 a few days ago. Generally it is very quiet, but there is a lot more noise in the first few seconds while the whole unit is powering-up. However, it's hard to imagine how the startup of a small fan could kick a 30A power supply into this noisier mode.

If the fan is running for such a short time, there may be a problem with the thermal switch that controls it. This is an industry-standard part, and very easy to replace.