RFI

Re: [RFI] RF Impedance measurement

To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "George Johnson" <w1zt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF Impedance measurement
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:23:38 -0700
George
Check W8WWV's web site.  He has done some tests and comparisons of these
analyzers.

I have the CIA-HF, the VA-1 and a General Radio 916A.  The VA-1 is the most
portable, if you are going up a tower.  The CIA-HF is the easiest to use and
gather data from.  The 916A is the most accurate but slowest to use.  Being
passive, it is difficult for it to be spoofed by external signals.

None of the electronic units seem to be very accurate once you step outside
the 2:1 swr circle on a Smith Chart.  I ASSUME this is probably true of the
MFJ units also, but have no direct experience with them.  By the way, I
heartily recommend WinSmith, the Smith chart program.  I got mine from ARRL
Bookstore, but it may be available elsewhere.  Fabulous tool.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG