RFI

[RFI] RFI / Band Monitor

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI / Band Monitor
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:44:02 -0800 (PST)
Folks,

I have been working on a semi-realtime band monitor
system, and there are some early results at
www.aa6e.net/aa6e/rfi/monitor.html.  I am recording
what happens on 40 & 20 M in 2 kHz channels in my
particular environment.

Why would we want to do this?

-Learn a little about propagation conditions vs solar
activity, etc.
-Pick up (and record) RFI problems
-Get a baseline, pre-BPL deployment
-Too much hardware, software, and time available ;-)

Ed Hare actually suggests it's a bad idea to make
baseline recordings if you want to proceed against the
power companies with a BPL complaint.  The logic is
perverse, but he may be right.  See Ed's famous URL:
http://www.arrl.org/~ehare/bpl/measurements.html .

But as a frustrated radio astronomer and programmer, I
couldn't resist.  Already, I see some interesting
"UFOs", but they're probably somewhere in my house.

The process needs to be automated more, and I will
have to decide if it's worth trying to make a
long-term record (months/years).

How could this stuff be made more useful?

73, Martin, AA6E