RFI

RE: [RFI] DSC Alarm Panel 75 Meters/False Alarms

To: "RFI Reflector " <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] DSC Alarm Panel 75 Meters/False Alarms
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:58:39 -0600
Not that it matters to me (not in CA), but this seems to confirm that
hams should not touch any neighbor's equipment, but he can still work on
his own ham equipment.  Letter (c) is as clear as mud, but I think it
says that 9802 doesn't apply to ship & aircraft radios which are the
only things today that require an FCC license to repair.

Even without this, I wouldn't touch anyone's security or fire alarms due
to the possibility of it malfunctioning at a critical time later on
either due to my actions or not.  Either way, they'd probably sue ya
especially if someone dies as a result of the failure.

If a security or fire alarm system is picking up RF, the system is
malfunctioning since it is not a radio or TV set.  As a Part 15 device,
the mfr & installer are responsible, not the ham.  If neither of them
are capable of handling the problem, I wouldn't want to depend on an
alarm system made & sold by such incompetents.

73, de ed -K0iL