RFI

[RFI] Ethernet RFI Elimination?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Ethernet RFI Elimination?
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:02:27 -0500
I have a 3-computer/single printer wired network (using a Linksys
router/print server) in my house.  For a variety of reasons, I can't run
a wireless network.

Jim Brown, K9YC, posted an interesting item this past month that touched
on RFI generated by Ethernet (CAT5) cabling.  In the post, Jim mentioned
some specific birdie frequencies.  I dialed them up on the Orion and, lo
and behold, there they were.

My questions are:

What other frequencies will I hear the Ethernet (I believe Jim's posting
stops at 10 MHz)?

What can I do to lower/eliminate the RFI?  The router is about 20 feet
away from the radio, the shack computer, cable modem and local printer
are within 3 feet of the radio.

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC