RFI

[RFI] Core for common-mode choke?

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Core for common-mode choke?
From: <jeff_list@burnshome.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:31:49 -0500
I have made some progress on solving the TV interference problem referenced
below, but I can use some more help.

A colleague at work gave me five split cores with an inside diameter of 0.5
in. Some are type 25 material the others are unknown material. I was able to
wrap 3 turns of the AC line on a core. Four of these cores stopped the TVI
with all other cables disconnected from the TV.

I wrapped two turns of the TV cable on the one core I had left and
reattached it to the TV. The TVI is back. Obviously, I need more impedance
on the TV cable.

Replies to my previous post indicated that type 31 material is the optimal
choice to make the RF chokes I need. This is what I have been able to find
for sale:

DX Engineering

Split beads, Type 31,

 for up to 0.275 inch Cable, Pack of 10 for $23.25  for up to 0.525 inch
Cable, Pack of 5 for $22.25  for up to 0.750 inch Cable, Pack of 5 for $25.8

>From Amidon

Type 31 non-split beads

OD 0.485in ID 0.20in Length 1 in. $0.80 each OD 0.562in ID 0.25in Length 1
in. $1.50 each

With the split beads I can put one to three turns of a pre-made cable on a
bead depending on its size. The non-slit beads will need to be put on before
the connector is attached to the cable. I will need to use the bigger size
beads unless I can find a 75 ohm cable that is smaller than 0.20in in
diameter.

What is the most cost effective bead to purchase for this application?