RFI

Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ethernet RFI
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:55:52 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:

If your eyes were good enough and you had a good magnifying glass, you could, indeed, check for wiring errors. The assumption that the wiring is satisfactory is NOT. There are, for example, installation- related faults that can degrade data transmission -- sharp bends, damage to the cable, lacing of the cable, etc. Data cable should not, for example, be laced. Rather it should lie loose. There are a lot of reasons for this, and I suspect some of the references cited in this thread will address them.

Bottom line -- there's a lot more to data cabling than meets the eye,

Thanks to everyone for the information - I for one have really learned something from this.

and the precision test set really is required.

Maybe first we need a way to check if there really *is* any problem affecting data transfer, and also to check if anything changes when we hit the system with RF.

Are there software utilities that can monitor the data rates and levels of retries, and show if the system is shifting into 'low gear'?