RFI

RE: [RFI] TV cable splitters

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] TV cable splitters
From: "Mike Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:02:56 -0500
I often find the cause of signal degradation and TVI, associated with cable
TV, to be the outdoor splitter installed by the local provider. When
responding to a complaint, if the system is suspect, one of my first steps
is to bypass the outdoor splitter with a male to male connector. I use a
signal level meter to test the loss through components. The typical loss
through a two way splitter is just under 1.5db in the VHF range. A loss of
3db is high. Also, I haven't found the more expensive splitters to be more
reliable than the cheaper type I purchase by the bag full.
You are fortunate to be able to figure this out. Some of us take this simple
task for granted. Readers would be surprised at the number of very upset
cable customers I assist with TVI caused by such an easy thing to
troubleshoot.
Mike Martin
RFI Services
mike@rfiservices.com