RFI

Re: [RFI] New to the Group

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New to the Group
From: "A. Sewell" <n5na@att.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:36:42 -0600
Just remember you get what you pay for.  I bought a bag of these and
tested them per K0BG's procedure ( http://www.k0bg.com/beads.html )
using an MFJ-259B.

I don't know what mix they are but they are definitely not 43 or 31.
With five turns thru the bead I get a reactance of ~140 and an
inductance of 11 uH.  If they were 43 they should have a reactance of
~500 and an inductance of ~40 uH.

I have tried this procedure on some other ferrite beads I have and I do
get the mix 43 values so K0BG's procedure does work.

I snapped some of these on the wires going to the fuel pump on my truck
and they made absolutely no difference in the noise.  I took them off
and snapped on a couple of split beads I had from Radio Shack and the
noise dropped to almost nothing.

So, it seems questionable how effective these cheap ferrites beads are.

73,

Alan  N5NA