RFI

Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL
From: digital-conjurers@adelphia.net
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:59:33 -0800
As a Ham, a SWL, and a San Diego County resident, I can only say that the whole
idea of rolling out BPL here is questionable, considering the far-better
wireless alternatives that are  becoming more commonplace.

Considering the other urban alternatives available here, (cable, wireless) BPL
seems at first glance only applicable to rural settings...and even then some
new wireless alternatives are making inroads in that department.

I listen to the International SW Broadcast bands, and I think it's a shame the
SWL community isn't big enough in the US to have as much clout as Hams do...and
we hardly have enough clout as it is.  If we lose the SW broadcasting bands to
BPL racket, the only place you're going to be able to get your news and
information will be the Boob Tube, print media, or the Net...and we've seen
what nations like China can do with selective filtering of _that_ medium.
Radio is free, in the clear, and is only limited by your ability to get an
antenna up.

Just something to think about, guys...many SWL's are hams...and as one SWL once
said to me, "Open ears learn more than open mouths."

If there's too much racket on the SW broadcasting bands, well, a lot of us
won't be able to hear those interesting alternative points of view and exotic
musical and cultural programming you used to as easily.

Just a thought.  Frankly, if it screws up ANY of the 2-30Mhz spectrum, I hope
the whole thing fails miserably.  But, it probably will continue to roll out.
Well, we have the departing Mr. Powell to thank for making the US safe from
Janet Jackson's wardrobe, and for the FCC's support for BPL.  "The Marketplace
will decide."

...and I just finished a years-long project restoring a complete 50's AM
Heathkit station. Perfect timing. <sigh>

-Lin/KJ6EF