RFI

[RFI] Direct DFing of arcing hardware (was PG&E IR line faultdetection a

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Direct DFing of arcing hardware (was PG&E IR line faultdetection advertisements)
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:58:35 -0800
Some 20 years ago I had occassion to track down widespread interference
caused by medium-voltage power-line-related arcing. I found HF DF of
limited use due to RF conducted along powerlines and other conductors  to
be radiated elswhere. I had to go into VHF to narrow down the general area.
Then I had to go to 450 MHz to get a bead on the specific pole and
hardware. The hardware involved was almost resonant there, so the *direct*
emission could be DF'd.. Luckily, it turned out to be at a local airport
and had been bothering the control tower's reception for some time; when
THEY complained, the utility showed right up.

This calls for beams, not loops, of course, and I had to build one.
Nowadays I have 2450, 1700, 1250, 900 MHz, and 2/440 as needed.

Cortland
KA5S