RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Clay Curtiss W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:04:56 -0800
I ran some more tests over the weekend.  My antenna was a 50' high, 50' long
dipole center fed with twin feed through an antenna tuner with an internal
4:1 balun.  With the generator running and my Icom 746/PS15 connected to it
(through the cabin wiring), my noise level on 20M is about S9.  When I
connect the 746 to my truck battery the noise level drops only slightly to
S8+.  When I turn the generator off, the noise level becomes almost
non-existant with just atmospheric noise.  Unfortunately, I forgot to check
the noise level when the generator is running but disconnected from the
cabin.  I'll try that this next weekend.  Also, the noise level is
definitely higher at some frequencies.  At this point I'm pretty sure that
what I have is common-mode noise that is being radiated by the cabin wiring.
If I'm correct, then I should see lower noise levels when the generator is
running but unplugged from the cabin.  Now i just need to decide whether to
purchase a commerical RFI filter or build one with a couple of toroids.

Thanks again for all of the helpful suggestions.

Clay  W7CE