RFI

[RFI] RFI with Dish Network

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI with Dish Network
From: "Bill Axelrod" <bill@axelrods.org>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 14:43:41 -0400
Am having a tough RFI problem with the Dish Network setup in a new home.
Fortunately it is in my own home.  And  I have no close neighbors.

I am running a HF station and experience some RFI at 200W and much worse RFI at
500W.  So, when I get the 220 VAC wired up for my amp, I expect it will be
considerably worse.

I have no problems when I use the VCR with the TV.  They only happen when I
turn on the Dish network receiver.  I have done a few things that have been
minimally helpful.  I put ferrites on all cables coming in to the Dish
receiver.  I put a high pass filter on its output to the TV since one can't use
a high pass filter on the input (as I learned from searching the archives.

I moved the end of my wire antenna so that it now is 30 ft in back of the Dish
antenna which helped some.  On most bands I get by with minimal RFI at low
power (200W).  But, that's not a complete fix.

In one of the posts to this reflector I read that the coax between the antenna
and the receiver also fed DC to the LNA/downcoverter in the antenna feed.
That leads be to believe that my problem is caused by RF getting into the
downcoverter rather than into the receiver in the house.

Any thoughts on that?  Any other hints?  Please!

Thanks...   Bill K3WA