RFI

Re: [RFI] Motorola BPL....?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Motorola BPL....?
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:08:04 -0500
I'm not so sure it will happen Jim.  Over the last 11 years I've see
Motorola roll out several products aimed at utilities that didn't go
anywhere because the product was priced about the break-point for
utilities.

>From what I've seen, Canopy is fairly expensive compared to the
alternatives.  So it's probably not going to be competitive with the
other BPL technologies unless the FCC starts cracking down on Part 15
interference.  No sign of that yet.

I applaud Motorola for working with the ARRL and trying to do this the
right way!  But unless things change at the FCC, it'll be a bumpy road
for Canopy-BPL.  What we can do is point out to our utilities that there
are alternatives that don't cause interference, or at least as much
interference as ordinary MV-BPL.