RFI

Re: [RFI] EMI resistant phones

To: silberman@earthlink.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] EMI resistant phones
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:47:17 -0400
I can't vouch for RS products particularly, but I think the "cordless
phone" approach is a good one for RFI considerations.  The latest
digital phones operate in "networks".  I have a 2.4 GHz digital base
that supports 3 handsets.  Other models (5 GHz) support up to 5
handsets, AFAIK.  I would stay away from 900 MHz & lower phones,
because of privacy issues, etc.

The advantage is that you only have to RFI-suppress the base station,
if there is a problem.  You can locate it away from antennas and feed
lines. Any trouble is easily handled with ferrite toroids for the
power & telco lines.  The handsets normally don't care about ham RF.
My 2.4 GHz unit even works right next to my microwave oven.  I have
also not seen any problems with my nearby WiFi equipment.

73 Martin AA6E

--
martin.ewing@gmail.com (invitations available, pls ask)
http://blog.aa6e.net