RFI

[RFI] source for RFI filter cordset?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] source for RFI filter cordset?
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:49:26 -0400
Hello All,

I am tired of making improvised AC line filters by winding power cords
through ferrite cores for 6 or 8 turns.  They work ok, but they are
unsightly and oversized, especially if you have a 3-wire cord.

This should be a commercial product, don't you think?  I've searched
and haven't found one.  There are good RFI filters for IEC power
outlets and wired-in situations (e.g.
http://www.corcom.com/Series/IEC/EASEBS/ ), but I want one that is
compact and integrated with a cordset, so you just plug it in series
with your equipment's AC cord.  Even simpler: a box with the std
recessed IEC male with filter on one side and a 3-wire female outlet
on the other.   (I doubt that any of the premium "surge suppressors"
offer EMC filtering.  Does anyone know to the contrary?)

Yes, a box would be easy to make, but I want ready-made.  It's the
sort of thing that would cost you $12.95 at the hardware store if it
were produced in volume.  ICE has a box for $70+, but it is bulky and
too expensive for my application.

I'm thinking mainly of RFI egress (from consumer products to my
equipment), but this product would serve for ingress protection also.

Thanks for any pointers. Yes, I asked about this last year, but
nothing came of it.

73 Martin AA6E
--
martin.ewing@gmail.com