RFI

Re: [RFI] Returned mail: User unknown

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Returned mail: User unknown
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:54:09 -0400
I have purchased a couple of items from www.radioshack.com, our
friendly purveyor.  They are

1.  61-2430  $11.99 + S&H
2.  61-2420  $16.99 + S&H

They are both sold as single-outlet surge protectors, but they also
claim to have "up to" 40 dB RF filtering in the 100 kHz to 100 MHz
band.  Model 2 also includes surge protection for an RJ-11 telephone
loop. (and an extra green LED)

I opened up my #2 device.  Ignoring the MOVs, the ground and neutral
are fed straight through, but the 120 V hot wire is passed through a
molded device of some kind.  (I didn't feel like disassembling it too
far.)  I suppose that is at least an RF choke, although there might be
more to it.

This product is cheap and sturdy, and probably offers some useful
protection against RFI egress, which is my concern at the moment.  It
doesn't provide full common-mode choke action, but we will have to see
how that works out in our application.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net