RFI

Re: [RFI] BPL Propaganda, ARRL Rebuttal on NPR's Morning Edition

To: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>,"'Chuck Gooden'" <cgooden@insightbb.com>, <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL Propaganda, ARRL Rebuttal on NPR's Morning Edition
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:27:14 -0700
From: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>

> However, as I've stated before, utilities may end up doing BPL whether
> they
> provide internet or not.  The REASON for doing BPL is to have an
> owner-controlled data network to every electric customer.  The WAY TO PAY
> for it is to provide broadband internet access for whoever can't get it or
> can't afford it now.

If what you says is true, Ed, then our only real hope is that
Motorola system with its hard analog notch filters beomces
the widely adopted standard. BTW, have there been any
actual ARRL attended demonstrations of the Motorola system
which show that it really is effective? With all the non-linearities
that could be present on a power line system, my big fear has
been that IMD products will tend fill-in regions which are
hard notched with analog filters, thus limiting the ultimate
rejection capability. Is there any data on this?

Of course, even if the Motorola system is adopted en masse,
it will be the end of shortwave listening (not that there is much
left to listen to). One could argue, however,  that for demand
response load management systems, fixed frequency allocations
in the shortwave bands could provide more than enough bandwidth
to enable the very sophisticated management schemes that power
companies want, so there is still some reason to hope that the ISP
side of the BPL equation will fail [fixed sub-band allocations while
adequate for load management probably wouldn't provide enough
bandwidth to support what broadband ISP customers want - e.g.
stealing music and downloading porn :):)].