RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Direction Finding
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:24:00 -0800
Yes, do try a small shielded loop. Here's one design that works fine on my
VR-500 receiver:
http://people.delphiforums.com/KA5S/the%20coax%20loop.JPG
It can be made with three or four RS parts (as long as they still sell
them!). It is important that at one end of the coax the center pin is left
floating and the center conductor is shorted to the shield. Also, there
needs to be a gap in the shield at the top, as shown.

This loop does NOT work well on a TH-F7A; that HT's receiver needs a
near-50-ohm antenna. But on a super-sensitive wide band handheld like the
VR120, VR500, AR-8000 etc. a small loop will do the job. Even a Male BNC to
dual female banana plug adaptor with a loop of wire attached will work.
Simpler loops are possible; a piece of coax with the center conductor
connected to the shield a foot or so down the cable and the shield left
open at the end is also a functional loop -- and you can make one out of
any old coax you have laying around. It only needs to be strong enough to
hold itself reasonably vertical.

Good hunting!

Cortland
KA5S