RFI

Re: [RFI] Question on HF loop for tracking line noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Question on HF loop for tracking line noise
From: "Ed -K0iL" <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:20:58 -0600
That's why, as I mentioned previously, one of the guidelines in the RFI
books and followed by good RI investigators is to track the noise at the
highest freq at which the noise can be rcvd moving higher whenever the noise
gets stronger.  Tracking noise that's too strong can become very frustrating
at times depending on the system architecture.

Also keep in mind that some of the noises you may find might not be
impacting your station location (if fixed) due to the Standing Waves I
mentioned.  That usually the case when a ham has tracked "a noise" in his
neighborhood, calls the power company, they come out and repair the source,
and there's no change to the original noise source.

Whoops!  Wrong source.  Do this too many times, and the power company will
think you're a goof ball and will be slower to respond.  This is where the
power company should use Loftness' source I.D.ing techniques on a storage
scope to track the actual problem source affecting the ham.  However, not
many of them do.  So it's up to the ham to sort it all out if possible.

I recommend always finding as many strong nearby sources as possible before
calling the power company.  Do whatever you can to sort out which ones you
can hear and which ones you can't to prioritze them.  Then call the power
company with the listing.  If they cannot determine which one is the
problem, tell them to fix them all starting at the top.

73, de ed -K0iL