RFI

Re: [RFI] RF Quiet Laptop for Mobile Console?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF Quiet Laptop for Mobile Console?
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:07:37 -0700
At 7:49 PM -0500 5/18/06, doc wrote:

>Thank you for that report Fred.
>
>You said you used a dc-dc converter, so the native
>voltage for the Dell is something other than 12vdc?
>Perhaps 16 or 19 or 24 vdc or something?
>
>Some of the dc-dc converters can be rf noisy as well.
>
>Are you using the Dell dc-dc adapter or some other
>brand?

The Dell works off 20vdc while I *think* my Mac iBook is a nominal 16v. I use
the Dell dc-dc adaptor/converter made specifically by Dell for Dell Latitudes;
found it on eBay for about $15. I suppose it would work on other Dell laptops,
but wouldn't want to bet the farm on it; probably differing computer power
connectors although there may be different voltages as well. The Mac's DC power
supply is made specifically for Apple laptops, but I know it will not
physically fit all Mac laptops (i.e., older laptops); they also have differing
plugs, but I am not certain about the voltage compatibility; the Apple
"Universal Car/Air Adaptor" puts out 15 to 24 vdc according to its label. No
noise from either UNLESS my battery bank from which I power all my computer and
radio gear drops below certain voltages, usually around 12.3 vdc when the
converter/adaptors start cycling on/off in which instance there will be S9+
"clicks" on my HF radios. I have considered purchasing a "battery extend
 er" (actually a voltage regulator) which would keep the battery voltage up
above the cutoff voltages, but just haven't done it (Oct 05 QST had a product
review of such a 20-amp extender, but the manufacturer received so many
requests/orders as a result of the article that he quit making them; there was
also a QST article on homebrewing such an extender several years ago, but I
happened to give away that issue in a fit of generosity). Commercial battery
extenders with current capacity high enough (20+ amps) are available for about
100 bucks and up.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html