RFI

Re: [RFI] [BULK] Re: Ambient Noise Levels

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] [BULK] Re: Ambient Noise Levels
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:18:57 -0700
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:37:54 -0500, Jim P wrote:

>I don't know that I entirely agree with that statement of
>the origins of the noise, however.

Of course the noise at any location will be the sum of noise
from many sources, some of them local, some of them distant. A
few of those that are local may be close enough to be in their
near field. But for most sources, the transition from near to
far field occurs at roughly 1/6 wavelength, so at HF and above,
most noise sources that aren't in our own home are far field
sources. I live and work in the pro audio world, where virtually
all of our baseband noise sources are power-related magnetic
sources, and our systems are in their VERY near field.

My point, and Tom's, is that once you've cleaned all the local
noise out of your QTH and leveled your neighbors's homes, you're
still left with skywave.

73,

Jim K9YC