RFI

Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: "Rodger Devillier" <rcdevillier@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:08:31 -0500
It took almost a year to solve my problem dealing with HV lines.  In my
case, the lines were managed by a third-party and leased to the local power
company.   They shutdown a nuke plant to work on them (was scheduled
maintenance, not just for me).  The power company did their best to
accommodate me.  But it would have cost tens (if not hundreds) of thousands
to take an outage just for me.

Some say they don't have problems.  As I mentioned in an earlier email to
you directly, I think it depends on the hardware in use.  In my case, the
brackets holding the lines were arcing and had to be tightened / replaced.
Even still, within 1000' or so, the S-meter jumps at least two bars.  Only
the strongest DX signals would be copied.

Rodger
AB0YW