RFI

Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines FRAUD ALERT

To: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines FRAUD ALERT
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:25:36 -0400
> Some 30 years ago I recall reading a byline in NEWSWEEK
> magazine where
> researches noted that the scrub & bushes growing out in
> the middle of the
> mid-Western USA that were directly beneath long expanses
> of overhead utility
> lines were noticeably smaller, & less-robust looking, than
> growth outside of
> the immediate field...then about a decade or two after
> that piece, I saw a
> TV feature that described what appeared to be a connection
> between overhead
> lines & childhood leukemia.
>
> Yes, the jury may well still be out on any sort of a
> direct link(s), but why
> take chances that way, if you really don't have to...?

The power line brush growth thing occurred because ( no
surprise ) the utility company disturbed the environment
under the line soil by cutting the brush, spraying, and
driving over the soil with vehicles.

The data in the case study showing links between power lines
and leukemia was based on intentionally cooked facts. The
person who did that study was forced to retract all the
supporting data and the university canned him. While the
original finding managed to occupy many hours of media time,
when the guy got busted for fibbing the result was only a
few newspaper articles and a few minutes of time on national
news.

73 Tom