RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI?

To: "Rfi" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI?
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 22:53:15 -0400
> From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
>
> I've already demonstrated conclusively to myself that my Honda EU 1000i
is causing RFI on the line rather than through radiowaves (common mode) by
moving the inverter-generator far away from my antennas and radios although
usually, by necessity I need to run my Honda very close to my radios under
normal conditions (security: needs to be padlocked to my travel trailer's
tongue; doing same to a tree is ...

Last June I drove my rolling wreck (since disposed of) of an RV down to the
Sonoma County (CA) Radio Amatuers Field Day and set up a CW station (me, I
and myself operating) in it.  I was able to use a Honda quite possibly the
type you mention, and had to suppress conducted RF noise coming into the RV
via the power line by winding a common-mode choke of extension cord around
a plastic box.  Once I did that, it was possible to operate off the
generator instead of vehicle battery.

Cortland
KA5S