RFI

Re: [RFI] OT: Looking for a Primer on HID lighting

To: Amateur-repairs@yahoogroups.com, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] OT: Looking for a Primer on HID lighting
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:30:15 +0800
> Most automotive and handheld HID units have shielded ballasts , short
> dilvery leads due to the  high voltages used,and are usually installed
> in a shield enclosure.
>
> I can not speak for stationary installations used in streetlamps but
> the majority of them are installed in metal or metalised enclosures as
> well.
>
> Do I hear them in my installations? I usually sweep my install with a
> Ft-817 and other than the usual AM rasp nothing noted on the ham
> bands.
>
> Adam Kb2jpd

Do I understand correctly that they area so new
that there is time-trial history?

One of the things we are discovering about many
devices is that they start clean and get dirty
over time from heat stress, mishandling, etc.

I am just curious if there is a context where a
Ham could monitor them in regular usage over time
and document consistent low-RFI.

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E