RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Interference on TV using 2 meters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Interference on TV using 2 meters
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:53:17 -0700
Chuck, very good story and good work! Hams are constantly blamed for any type
of interference by neighbors' who are having electronic entertainment problems.
I'm frequently catching heat (albeit friendly heat) from others in this tiny
desert RV park in nowhere, Arizona. Distorted signals and lost signals on their
marginal reception broadcast TV channels, "funny noises" on their AM radios,
lost signals on their satellite TVs, and voices on their TV audio are the usual
complaints. I take them on one at a time, explaining I've actually transmitted
a total of maybe five minutes in the last three months (I'm a DXer, listen for
new ones far more than actually attempt to contact them), that in addition to
the intermittent RFI from a high tension power line about 1/2 mile south, RVs
and the RV lifestyle is RFI rich from generators, inverter-generators,
inverters, DC water pumps and other DC motors, power tools, thermostats and a
dozen other appliances inside RVs, and the occasional t
 rucker going by on the nearby Interstate using an illegal CB amplifier all
contribute to local RFI. And no, Jim, my HF vertical is not in the line of
reception of your Dish Network TV dish because it's too far away (200+ yards)
and your satellite is at a much higher angle than it looks.

Education is a wonderful thing. Too bad people assume the worst until proven
otherwise.

73 de Fred K2FRD

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS