RFI

[RFI] RFI resistant telephones

To: "RFI Reflector" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI resistant telephones
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:22:03 -0000
I just posted this on cq-contest.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chet Moore" <chetmoore@cox.net>
To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:52 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] bulletproof telephone

> Hi gang !
>
> a while back Dave K6LL posted the order number for a radio
> shack that he said was bulletproof.  I had a complaint of
> telephone interference last years during SS PHONE.    The
> person who called was more concerned that because they
> could hear me in their telephone and assumed that becuase
> they could hear me, that we could also hear their
> telephone conversations.  My wife took this call and asked
> for the complainers phone number but  must have transposed
> one of the numbers because after the contest when I tried
> to call them back, we got a message saying "invalid
> number" when we dialed it.
>
> I would like to have at least one telephone I could loan
> out or give out if I get another complaint.
>
> K6LL said the part number  was C-43-591.  I called radio
> shack to see if  they had them in stock but they couldn't
> find anythign with that number.  Maybe it was
> discontinued..    Does anyone one else know of a telephone
> that is impervious to RF??
>
> 73
>
> Chet N6ZO

Try the $15 Radioshack Model ET-296 series, catalog # 43-874
(white). It comes in several colors with slightly different
catalog numbers. I haven't tried it personally, but it sure
looks just like the old 43-591.

Another phone that has proved to be 100% bulletproof here is
the Uniden Model EXP 970. It is an 800 MHz cordless,
available at Walmart for under $10, at least the last time I
bought one, about a year ago. My xyl routinely chats on this
phone for hours while I am in high power contests, with no
complaints. One drawback to this phone for your application
is that you will have to keep the battery charged, because
it takes several hours for the initial charge. This phone
also sounds great and has a 10 number dialing memory.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ