RFI

Re: [RFI] Philips Energy Saving Bulbs?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Philips Energy Saving Bulbs?
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:55:25 -0500
Eric Rosenberg wrote:
> As part of a local fundraising effort, a group is selling 8-packs of
> Philips "Marathon60 Energy Saving Bulb"
>
> Before I buy them, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with them
> -- are they noise generators?
>
> Details:
> - 3w (60 w equivalents) compact fluorescents.
> - The mouse print on the package states: "This device complies with Part
> 18 of the FCC rules."
> - Ordering code = Mini Dec Twister BC-EL/mdT
> - "LAMP CONTAINS MERCURY, Manage in accordance with Disposal Laws. See
> www.lampreplace.org"
>
> 73 + Thanks,
>
> Eric W3DQ
> Washington, DC
> __________________

I have been using many Panasonic EFG15E28 "light capsules" at our house
for several years now.  Nothing heard from them on HF or VHF.  I have a
number of other incandescent replacement types that have not shown any
problems either.  But I do have a problem with a cheap compact
fluorescent torchiere floor lamp that emits incredible amounts of pulse
noise -- even when turned off!  I have to unplug it when I want to work
20 M.

FWIW, I doubt the "3 W" number.  Mine are 15 W for "60 W replacement".
They are available cheap -- $4.50 ea.-- from our local power utility.
(These are decorative bulbs.  Plain CFD units go for as little as
$1.50.) You might want to check if your utility has a similar offer if
you're going to get many of them.

73 Martin AA6E
Branford, CT