RFI

[RFI] N6TR Northwest noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] N6TR Northwest noise
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:26:05 -0800
All -

Someone referred me to this fine list and thought perhaps you might have
some input.

I have been experiencing some local QRN for over a month now.  I have
located the general area of the noise - about 1/2 mile away from my
QTH - but am unable to use DFing to locate the source.  It appears that
the noise is being conducted into the power lines - making location
impossible (thus far).

One excellent lead is that this sounds like a Ionic Breeze.

There are about 12 houses in the area and I have started a letter writing
compaign.  You can see the letters here:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/noise1.doc - noise2.doc - noise3.doc and noise4.doc.

I won't repeat all the details here - they are well documented in the
letters.

There are also links to recordings of the noise in its various states.  The
noise has recently "evolved" and has some different characteristics.
Hopefully, these changes will help narrow down my search.

This noise is being heard on 160, goes away around 2.8 MHz, but is louder on
80 again (louder than on 160).  This might have more to do with the effective
lengths of the "antenna" than something to do with the source.  I can hear it
again up around 5-6 MHz.  I am unable to hear anything with my 131 MHz DFing
setup (handheld VHF AM receiver with a 3 element beam).

I am close to going house by house and asking to shut down the power to
the house while the noise is present (currently it is on for 2 minutes
every 20 minutes).

I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress and hopeful solution.  Any ideas
are appreciated.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net