RFI

Re: [RFI] Weather Station on 433.92? (Cortland Richmond

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Weather Station on 433.92? (Cortland Richmond
From: David Garnier <dgarnier@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:26:37 -0500
Hi Cortland,

I have written about these devices before...

Having briefly looked at Part 15 regulations for transmitting devices,
they scary the crap out of me... I don't have to deal directly with these
devices at work yet, the 433.92 MHz frequency sounds awfully like
an ISM frequency slot. (Years ago we used to test product @ 3 V/m
80% AM modulation on our OATS site, I think that's the frequencies
called out by CISPR11.)

My rudimentary understanding of the regs for Part 15 transmitters is
1) 3 meter limit for RE that "falls off" (some curve) with frequency,
2) Can darn near operate anywhere _however_, 3) Without causing
"harmful interference" (whatever the FCC definition of the day is.)

Do I got it right?  I sure there's other folks who work in a test houses
and are more intimately knowledgeable with them than I am...  I love
this business.  ;-)

(( Lin/KJ6E, Ed Hare for sure would know the answer since it intrudes
into the bottom of 450 band.  _If you think this is bad_, look at the
905 MHz
ham band once. ))

dave garnier - wb9own