RFI

[RFI] TVI

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] TVI
From: CatWhiskR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:19:33 EDT
Here is the problem. TV on second floor. Tower is about 5 feet away, on the
other side of the wall. I have had TVI issues with this TV (Sylvania 32 inch
color) on HF but have tamed it with toroids on the cable lead in and the power
cord. Even with the KW.

On 50 mhz, with my 5 element yagi 30-50 feet above the TV, and the roof,
depending on how high I have it cranked up, I take the TV sound (primary) and
picture (not so critical) out with 2 watts. This happens when the antenna is
pointed directly over the house. When the antenna is at right angles to the
house,
no TVI, even with 100 watts. This is on all channels and with cable TV. I have
had new cable run, quad shield, with no improvement.

I have added all kinds of toroids to both AC line and the cable with only
slight improvement. There is a seamless aluminum rain gutter, 30 feet long,
running along the roof a few feet above the TV. In the same direction as the
TVI.
Grounding it has not helped.

I have not tried any other TV in this spot as my other TV is to heavy to lug
up the stairs. Can a particular TV be so susceptible to overload that it could
be the problem? Anyone have a suggestion that I have not thought of ?
Changing out the TV is an option. The XYL likes to watch the TV while she
irons. That
is usually when the band opens. I like my shirts ironed.

Terry/N6CW