RFI

[RFI] Ethernet RFI UPDATE

To: "Rfi" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ethernet RFI UPDATE
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:53:11 -0400
Hi Folks,

I've been having success troubling shooting the Ethernet connection problem.
Apparently, I was indeed getting RFI to the Ethernet extender box.  I've had to
go to some great lengths to reduce what was "not" measurable RF floating
around.

Installed common ground point for all active devices:

-  grounded HOST SERVER power supply
-  grounded Ethernet box
-  grounded shields on Cat 5
-  grounded UPS
-  rack,radio, linear, 12VDC PS (were already grounded)
-  grounds used for telco/CAT5 surge suppressors now common with all other
grounds in rack
-  toroidal chokes added to CAT5 output from Ethernet box, CAT5 input, 5vdc
input

I don't know if this next change has created was worth doing or not but I took
the CAT5 twisted pairs of telco wire that unused in the 6 pair trunk line
running between the barn and house (1,000ft) and terminated them to ground at
both ends of the line.  My thinking was that if these pairs were  not
terminated they might act as receive wires and re-radiate RF into the active
circuit pair. I know this is a stretch considering the cable is shielded and
buried.  It doesn't appear to have hurt performance of the Ethernet circuit.

Before making these changes a 5 watts transmission using CW, even into a dummy
load would cause the Ethernet circuit to loose sync.

Since the changes to the environment the circuit appears to be running faster
and is uneffected when key down with 100 watts of CW to the outside antennas.No
sign of problems.  So, perhaps there was RFI or the "PIN 1" scenario was
causing a higher bit error rate.  It is hard to say without test gear.  After
lunch I'll do the big test with the legal limit on CW.

What led me to this approach was the excellent inputs from members of this
reflector  and the fact that the Ethernet box uses RF similar to BPL in the
7-10MHz range to extend the connection over twisted pair telco wires up to
1500ft for the modle I'm using.  Transmitting on 30 and 40m are the only bands
where I had a problem.

Anyway, we're making progress.

73,
dave