RFI

[RFI] High Noise Floor

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] High Noise Floor
From: "Roeder, Landon" <LRoeder@nespower.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 06:17:50 -0500
We have a customer who contacted us regarding "RFI" at his home station.
We were able to trace a single source to an underground water pump
operated by Metro Water.  (What a weird noise that was.)  Even though
that noise is clear, he is still complaining about what he believes to
be RFI on 75m with his SteppIR vertical .  Using our Radar Engineers
MODEL 240-A, we are able to see an elevated noise floor, but there are
absolutely no distinguishable power line signals.  The "noise" is also
audible/visible when mobile in his neighborhood.  Other than the usual
isolation techniques inside the home, how can we help him determine the
source of a signal that has no noticeable characteristics, other than an
elevated noise floor?  Realizing that this is no longer the power
company's responsibility, what recommendation would you offer him?

Landon D. Roeder, KC5ACP
Engineer II, Test Section
Nashville Electric Service
Office: 615-747-3309