RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Resistant (and high quality) Computer Speakers???

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Resistant (and high quality) Computer Speakers???
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:25:43 -0700
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:26:29 -0800, Kelly Johnson wrote:

>I need a new pair of computer speakers.  I want good ones.  They need
>to put out a decent amount of power.  Little 2Watt or 5Watt guys
>aren't going to cut it.  That rules out the new "RFI-Proof" computer
>speakers from West Mountain Radio.  So, anyone know some high
>performance computer speakers that are reasonably immune to RFI?

What's your budget?  At every pro audio trade show, I walk around with my
2m/440 talkie, seeing what mischief I can cause in the gear on display on
the floor. So far, I've never seen ANY loudspeaker with a built-in amp
that didn't' detect VHF/UHF RF. That's the bad news.

The good news is that while the Mackie HR824's will run their woofers to
their limits on a 2W 2m talkie across a small room, they've given me NO
grief at all with 1kW on HF, even in Chicago where one antenna was a long
wire running a few feet from them. YMMV. They're great sounding
loudspeakers -- or at least they were, before corporate acquisitions
changed a lot of things. Maybe they still are.

73,

Jim K9YC